Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Irish Bottled

Yesterday. I bottled my irish red. Here is the problem... When I got the grains, the guy at the counter said "oh my gosh, I put Special B in, instead of the Biscuit!"

I said "hey, that's ok."

¤I was in a hurry. And honestly, I think the other thing is, I was just doing a "quick" recipe I found on line. I didn't research the recipe. I didn't formulate it myself. I just needed to brew that day and I didn't have time to do the leg work. So I typed "Homebrew Irish Red" in, printed a recipe, and planned to do it.

So... They messed up the grain bill. I truly didn't care. And so, I just brewed it.

It wasn't red. Really. More... Brownish reddish. But more brown.

So I really don't know what I'm going to get. It's in the bottle now, and only time will tell.

Here is the point- I will never just do a recipe. It was the story of lazy. Rushed. Really not focused.

I will never do that again.

In just the last week, I have learned do much about recipe formulation that I can't do that. I know that I love brewing because I love chemistry.

I entered college oh so many years so as Pre-Med. Because I like science. And making people happy. Did I know that then, no. do I realize that now, yes.

So, I don't know what the person making an online recipe was thinking. What they want. If they have ever brewed that beer before.

I want my beers to be everything they can be. To reflect EXACTLY what I want to do in that bottle.

So, let's see what this thing ends up happening with this batch. I still think that it will be tasty. And there is nothing wrong with an adventure, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment