Sunday, December 23, 2012

Brew Day ahhhh

Another perfect brew day.

I had planned on an all- Centennial hopped beer for my 100th brew, instead I used Warrior for bittering and Centennial for flavor and aroma hops.  Mainly because it saved me a trip to the brew store.  I only had 2 oz of Centennial, and I wanted a 100 IBU beer, so Warrior made sense, right?

Somehow, my sparges are slow.  I don't know why.  Maybe grains are clogging up my manifold?  Maybe my crush is too small?  I'm not sure- but it's slower than it should be.  This is not a BIG deal, except for brew speed and if I'm using a "stickable" grain, it sticks immediately.  So- since I love the rye beers, I should address this.

The mash went great, the boil was 90 minutes, everything went just perfect.

So what did I learn in that brew day?  Well- let's see... It's a lot more fun if you're not rushing?  I took it slow and steady,  the brew day took about 5 hours start to finish, and it was a nice relaxing evening.

I just checked on the beer and it is not yet fermenting visibly.  That's odd to me, since I pitched it into a carboy from a prior brew which had 300 billion cells.  If I don't see anything when I get home from work tonight, I'll have to pitch a yeast packet on it.  Odd, I tell ya.

Happy Brewing!

1 comment:

  1. Always good to see a new post! Congrats on the 100th brew!

    ReplyDelete