Saturday, July 13, 2013

Berlinner - why- not?

So, I have wanted to do a sour mash Berlinner Weiss for a while.  A bunch of my brew buddies have brought the style to the table recently, so in my over-the-top typical style, I mashed in two yesterday.

The first is a Rye Berlinner Weiss, the second is a Smoked Berlinner Weiss.

The smoked beer was inspired by Blind Bat Brewing's "Vlad the Inhaler"  which is an oaked smoked wheat beer in the Grodziskie style.  I have wanted to get smoked wheat malt, but it is quite rare and certainly not available in the LHBS.  Yes, I could smoke my own wheat malt- and I may just do that.  In this case, I used all the smoked barley I had on my shelf (1.33 lb)  with Pale Ale malt and Wheat.

These little punkins are lacto-bubbling away in 5-gallon buckets right now.  I decided that doing a brew-in-the-bag would be a great way to get a berlinnerweiss going.  At the end, sparge through with some hot water, then throw the paint strainer bag out.  Less messy than using my Igloo cooler mash tun.

My saison turned into a belgian blonde.  It's super belgiany and I can NOT call it a saison, despite the 1.003 FG.  SUPER estery.

Latest Grilled Lemon Cream Ale is tasty.

The Summit Pale al is delicious.  I dropped an ounce of summit in the wort when it had cooled to 170 degrees and let it sit for 15 minutes, then continued cooling.  Nice flavor on that one.

This weekend I will be bottling Right Red Rye, Martell Apricot Cinnamon, and Nut Brown.  The berlinnerweiss pair will have to be boiled and put in the fermenter, and who knows- maybe another brew?  It would be  stretch, but it is possible.

Good day and good brewing, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment