Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

My intent was to brew today. I have my 2-row and specialty grains for a couple of batches. I got distracted though... I constructed a 3-tier brew stand today out of a "Metro Rack" type of shelving system. Initially I was going to make it with a couple of new burners and pots and such. However, since my existing water heaters (commercial coffee brewers)work well and are already in inventory, and because I have the lovely igloo cooler mash tun, it really seemed silly to re-invent the wheel. So it can roll into and out of the garage, and I won't have to move any liquid. The hose will filter through the in-line filter, so I won't have to go buy water and lug it to the heater. 1/2 inch threads have made the HLT compatible with hoses. I installed a "real" ball-valve instead of the Frankenstein system I had before. The boil kettle is on my existing propane burner which conveniently is 21" off the ground, perfect height for a 6 gallon Better Bottle. So really, it's a 4 tier system. I also took some water heater insulation blanket stuff and insulated the coffee makers :) I also have my grain mill to mess with, so it should be a heck of a day! Now, drinking a Right Rye Red and reading. Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment