Friday, January 6, 2012

New Years Resolution Revealed!

OK, so I snuck in a brew today.  A simple extract Irish Red that I got a recipe for off of Ratebeer.com Of course, I couldn't just leave well enough alone.  The guy at the homebrew shop added one of the wrong grains which was darker than the recipe called for.  SO, instead of using the liquid extract called for (amber) I used half Amber LME and half Light DME.  This helped lighten the color, but it's not very... red.  Time will tell.  In about a week :)

That's a great part of brewing.  Everyone loves instant gratification, but brewing requires some patience.  Not an insane amount, but some.  And failure is quite apparent.  Like exploding bottles, or rank-ass beer.  I had one brew batch which did both.  I drank it.  Just to remind myself to not be a retard in the future. I named the brew "The Punisher"  and I finished every drop which was not lost to exploding bottles.  Because you follow through, assholes :)

Also bottled that Creme Brulee stout.  It is. Freaking. Delicious.

Currently consolidating my "cellar" which has a couple hundred beers in it, today.  I have packaged 15 of them to ship out tomorrow, which does actually help the storage situation. 

The Klingon Grog is rolling along great, and the Raspberry stout is fermenting the simple sugars in the raspberries.  Problem with me is, I don't really take the scientific measurements of my gravity, which is the indicator of alcohol percentage AND tells you if you are extracting the grains at an optimal level when brewing.  So THAT will be my New Year's Resolution. To take gravity readings on every batch. So it is stated, so it shall be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment