Sunday, March 25, 2012

Such a blessing!

I feel so lucky to have found not only the great community, but the great individuals who I have met in home brewing. Definitely not boring, very giving, and simply honest.

I brewed a batch of popcorn pale with zythos flavoring and Citra aroma hops. Should be delish.

Tried the portly squirrel again and AGAIN, it is too porter-like. I've just now decided that I did something different the first time I made it, from the recorded recipe. Because I have tried 4 times to recreate it and it really does come out consistently delicious, but not the same. It's far more porter than nut brown. I need to revisit the entire recipe. To be fair, the original was in the first 10 brews I did. And it was AWESOME. I guess if I can let go of that recipe guideline, I can recreate it without the pain :)

Had a great time brewing today- many friends dropped by and we tasted some great commercial and homebrews. Many of my friends who brew, do not brew enough. It's a sad but true fact. I have been lucky to have the support of my wife, who tells me to get the F out of the house ;)

I have move quickly from brewing extract, to all-grain and extract, to all-grain only. This is because my process has been greatly simplified by the system I have created. The move to all-grain is so much more economical compared to extract that it is about half the cost. I remember that a few months ago, I was warned to not brew too much and "burn out". At the time, and now, I thought that was crazy talk. I have, in the 50 brews I have accomplished in the first year I have been brewing, proven that burnout is not an issue for me. My 1 year anniversary was March 23rd. I currently have, as of March 25th, brewed 52 batches.

I have learned so much about brewing that it really surprises me. Other than the 3 batches which froze (reviews are actually mixed, several people think they are still delicious) and exploding IPA, and the punisher, had a pretty great track record.

Many Homebrewers feel that being able to repeat a brew is the most important thing to improving your homebrew. I think if you have a decent process, you can do that quite simply. Being creative is what makes Homebrewers who they are. There is room in the hobby for ALL types of brewers, that's really what is so great. People who brew 4 batches of the same lager every year, those who brew Lemongrass Tangelo Cream Ale, and those who do mead ;)

The supply side of the craft is a field of opportunity which should be explored by crafty, dedicated, brewing individuals such as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment