Wednesday, May 9, 2012

So many beers!

Eeks!  Looking at my cellar, I have SO many beers!

I think I need to give some of these away again.  Also funny how I have few of certain other ones.  I guess that goes to show that there are some "crowd favorites"

4 more batches in the fermenter, 2 of them ready to bottle right now.

I am also saving 6 of each batch for competitions.  I think I may actually have 30 in the NCH next year, if I decide to.  At least my goal is to have 30 AVAILABLE to enter, if the spirit moves me.  At $10 per entry this year and likely more $ next year, it's probably not worth it, since several are not what I would consider "world class".  This competition is TOUGH! I got 3 through to the mini-BOS of the San Diego regional, but none won medals, and none advanced to the second round.

I'd like to say, and I know that it's a level playing field since all beers are treated the same... The process for NHC sucks.  They get one bottle to judge.  So, the first 2 judges get the bottle and taste it.  Say... 3 ounces each to "judge".  The other half of the bottle is reserved for the mini-BOS.  It's open (or re-capped, but re-capping a half-full bottle is pointless) for up to 2 days?  It seems that they would have a better and not drastically more beer-consuming process if there were 2 bottles per entry.  Of course, at 800 entries the storage space needed for 1600 bottles is... significant.  That's a hell of a cellar.


No comments:

Post a Comment