Thursday, August 30, 2012

Collaborrative Experiment- Stone Pale Ale

WHAT WHAT?!?!?

ANOTHER experiment? 

Or, another collaboration?

Whatever...

So a few guys and I are all brewing the same recipe.  The goal is to come together and see what our individual systems and processes create, from the same ingredients.

We took the Stone Pale Ale recipe from BYO magazine in 2008 as our base.  We adjusted to Crystal 80 from Crystal 75 because we don't have access to 75 locally. 

We also agreed that the goal is to hit the NUMBERS on our system.  For example, if I have a 92% efficiency in my mash tun, I would reduce the starting ingredients to reach the outlined OG.

Also, the yeast is variable.  We are all supposed o use English Ale yeast per the recipe, but since some people use liquid and some use dry, that will be a variable.

Here is my recipe:

8.5 lb 2-row
1.25 lb C-60
.25 lb C-80
.75 oz Magnum 14% AA, 90 min
1.0 oz Ahtanum 5.7% AA, 15 min
156 deg mash temp
90 minute boil
Batch Sparge (that's new for me)
Windsor yeast

I had my grains crushed at the LHBS which I usually don't, and I paid the price.  Missed my target gravity by 2 points, 1.054 rather than the target of 1.056

I don't think any of the other guys have brewed yet, and the original goal was to have our beers all entered into the ASH Oktoberfest competition and see what the judges had to say about them.  Looks like it might just be mine.

Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment