Sunday, September 9, 2012

Re-using bottles

When you homebrew, and bottle, you are eternally on a hunt for bottles.

Well, let's re-state that...

If you GIVE a lot of bottles away, you are on an eternal hunt for bottles.

I have very generous friends who share their bottles with me.  Many of these friends who homebrew.

Very often, these bottles are not rinsed.  I don't know why.  Bottles which are not rinsed, quickly grow mold and bacteria.  They take less than 5 days to become essentially useless.  I mean, it can be very gross trying to get mold out, to the point where I will only do it if the bottle is special in some way (a Belgian bottle, a flip-top bottle, etc)

Sometimes, bottle conditioning will result in yeast being stuck to the bottom of a bottle.  This is normal.. Typically a quick couple of rinse and shake cycles, will remove this.

Often, the sediment can be stuck on the bottom and shake-rinsing doesn't help.  For this problem, I have come up with a new solution:

Drop 6-8 washers or nuts in the bottle, add a little water, and swirl.

The nuts will scrape the sediment off the bottom of the bottle very quickly, and BINGO!  Fixed!

It's the best way I find, because I hate using a bottle brush- bottle brushes are messy, flicking water all over the place. I'm SO glad I came up with this idea today!


No comments:

Post a Comment