Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Zig, then Zag

Tonight I had another fantastic homebrew class.

Maybe I will title it "Resurrecting your brew day"

So, first- it was an... extended day at work.  Like- leaving more than half an hour late.  Also, no idea what I am brewing.  Have to stop and get grains (actually, Scott was awesome and sped me along)

I have to get home, disassemble my set-up and pack it in the Xterra.

Get there, get the water heating, realize that I forgot a few things.

Go home. Get them.

Get back to the Community center.

Realize FUCK! I forgot some other things too, but I have to figure out what to do without, because... yeah... no time.

Now 25 minutes late starting the mash

The plan was to get mash done by 6:15.  It finished at 6:55

Clearly, for a brew that had an end at 8:30, this was a bit of a challenge

OK, mash out. After 2 gallons, start the gas and get it to boil when we're through with mash out.

The propane tank is not, um- propane-ing.

I got it filled, and the guy said "I think something might be wrong, it's really hard to turn. Weird."

So yeah. No gas.

I do have a commercial stove, and that worked. Slowly-ish.

Further back in the time line.

So when all is said and done, cooling finished (Oh my god, I love ice machines) by 9:00 on the dot.

Plenty of interaction.  Requests to brew with me at home some time.  All these things are excellent.

Because there were several opportunities to TEACH how you recover and use your problem solving abilities to make a quick move and figure out problems on brew day.  

Next week is packaging and sampling.

WOOHOO!

1 comment:

  1. Fun class last night. What's the next series of classes gonna be?

    ReplyDelete