Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Re-Using Yeast

DO NOT DO THIS!

OK, now that you read the disclaimer, let's talk about what I did.

I brewed the Cream Ale for grilled lemons, then racked off into a separate carboy for the fruit addition.

Saving the carboy, I racked a new batch (Portly Squirrel) directly into the same carboy. This, friends, is not good.

Oh sure, it worked out fine for me.  But it's ABSOLUTELY not the "right" way to do it. The right way is outlined in many places- you pour off the yeast, select the best ones, etc etc etc.

Since I KNOW it's not the right way to do it, I naturally decided to do it again.

Last night I racked a porter directly into the same carboy.

Pretty stupid, I know.  However- the carboy was already exploding out into the fermentation cooler at 7:00 AM so it seems the yeast are pretty dang active!

I am afraid of autolyzed yeast puking into this beer, so it will definitely be the last time I do this.

For Right Rye Red, I pitched the yeast from a half- gallon cream ale int it.

Because I'm cheap.  Oh, I mean- experimental

No comments:

Post a Comment