Thursday, January 17, 2013

Failure

Oh my goodness- what the HECK is in those bottles?!?!?

The porter that I brewed for the graf... it tastes AWFUL!  I'm not sure where the failure happened, but it isn't very carbed, and it tastes like... gross.

Centennial Ale, the 100th batch- it's a diacetyl bomb. I mean, it is OK for me to drink, but it's not for sharing :(  Diacetyl is the "artificial butter" flavor- some peole find it incredibly offensive.  Bonnie will probably say "Oh my GOSH!  That tastes like Red Hook used to!" ;)

So- where did we go wrong?  That is the question.

The porter- I'll have to look closer at that. It's SO gross, I have no idea.  Infection?

Centennial ale- I should have let it sit longer in the fermenter.  It was a high gravity beer and though it "finished fermentation" quickly, I should have let it sit for another week for the yeast to clean up after themselves.  Yeast are the source of diacetyl in beer.  They will create diacetyl when fermentation temperatures are inconsistant.  They will create diacetyl just BEACUSE.  It happens.  However, if they are allowed to sit with the beer long enough, the same yeast will "scrub" the beer of that diacetyl.

1 comment:

  1. It didn't taste like infection, or at least not like the few I've tasted before. But something happened because it was not up to normal DahBrew standards.

    ReplyDelete